A Fully Insulated Plant for a Waterborne Electrostatic Application
End-user CESAB Spa is a Toyota Group company based in Bologna, Italy, that produces forklifts for industrial markets. They assemble the forklifts inside the company. All the parts arrive from other companies, but they have an internal paint area where they spray the metal parts of the forklifts.
Until about 6 years ago, Cesab sprayed using air-assisted airless technology. Then, thanks to the cooperation with GS Verniciatura, Cesab decided to invest in electrostatic finishing and automate the process, saving time and money.
The finishing process consists of first applying an embossed paint to the cast iron frame, then the 1K base (in different colours), and ends with the application of a 2K waterborne paint.
GS Verniciatura offered the following solutions:
1) Embossed Application: 57 L SST pressure pot and Airmix gun G40
2) WB 1K paint (2 colours): A completely insulated system. This is an insulated “cage”. The door opening is blocked thanks to a pneumatic cylinder. If the operator pushes the “Maintenance” button, the air supply to the ES gun turbine is interrupted and the system is totally grounded.
3) Graco products used:
- 2 elevators for 200 L tanks with agitator, Triton™ 3:1 HP pump, fluid pressure regulator with recirculation (the product recirculates until the colour change valve).
- 1 group for flushing with water composed of a Triton™ 3:1 pump (50 L tank).
- 1 insulated system for the colour change valves, where the hardware components are as close as possible to the application to obtain a faster colour change and to save money.
- 1 pneumatic panel to manage all the working pressures (air & product), colour change requests, maintenance, or working status, etc.
- 1 ProXS™ WB electrostatic gun
4)WB 2K paints (4 colours): Same concept as the previous insulated system, but bigger in size (see picture 3 and 4).
Graco products used:
- 4 elevators for 200 L tanks with agitator, Triton 3:1 HP pump, fluid pressure regulator with recirculation (the product recirculates until the colour change valve).
- 1 catalyst supplier group with Triton 3:1 HP pump and with SST pressure pot (36 L).
- 1 water supplier group (for flushing) with Triton 3:1 HP pump (50 L tank).
- 1 solvent supplier group (for flushing) with Husky™ 716 (200 L tank), that is based outside for safety reasons. The solvent needed to flush is connected automatically to the system only during the colour change. At this time, the system is totally safe because it is grounded and the air supply to the turbine of the gun is closed.
- 1 ProMix™ Auto, modified by GS Verniciatura for the WB electrostatic application (Picture 5).
- 1 insulated system for the colour change valves (Picture 5), where the hardware components are as close as possible to the application to obtain a faster colour change and save money.
- 1 pneumatic panel to manage all the working pressures (air & product), colour change requests, maintenance, or working status, etc. (Picture 5).
- 1 ProXS WB electrostatic gun
With this kind of solution, the end-user obtained considerable savings in paint (about 30 procent), as well as lower overspray than before and therefore less maintenance of the spray booth and less VOC. Faster colour changes and less solvent consumption was also registered.
In the near future, Cesab will install a completely automatic system with robots, totally insulated for the electrostatic WB application
Toyota Material Handling Italia SRL (Cesab Spa)
Industry Market Sector
Electrostatic WB application with complete insulated systems
ProMix™ Auto, Triton™ 3:1 HP, ProXs™ guns, accessories
GS Divisione Verniciatura SRL
Via Friuli 38/40
40060 Osteria Grande (BO), Italy