Selecting The right HVLP Needle Nozzle Set
Fine finish jobs demand precise application techniques to deliver the smooth, glass-like finish on cabinets, millwork and other surfaces. From the material and equipment selections as well as dialing-in equipment settings, every choice can be the difference between realizing a great finish and one that requires additional work that will often end up costing you more time and money.
HVLP sprayers are very often the sprayer of choice for finishing contractors who seek the highest level of finish quality and the most control. When using an HVLP sprayer, there are times when you may need to thin or reduce a paint material down to achieve the desired results, due to the paint having a thick viscosity by nature. Before you begin thinning a product, you first want to make sure you’re using the correct needle nozzle set in the gun.
Fluid Set Selection
For best spray performance, reference the Fluid Set Selection Guide below for the fluid set recommendation for your application. At the top of the chart, the different sized needle nozzle combos (fluid sets) for Graco HVLP guns are listed.
The Fluid Set numbers refer to the size of the needle and the corresponding nozzle size used and these sizes are laser-marked directly on Graco fluid needles and nozzles for easy reference.
Fluid and Work Piece Preparation
In addition to selecting the right fluid set for the coating, proper fluid coating and work surface preparation is critical to achieving a smooth, professional fine finish. Listed below are suggestions for proper preparation when using an HVLP sprayer:
- Strain fluids before spraying – this includes colors, reducers and hardeners.
- Use a slower drying reducer or thinner to compensate for the faster drying time caused by the warm air of the turbine. Do not over reduce.
- Spray performance varies with the viscosity of the material sprayed, HVLP sprayer and length of hose.
- Most material manufacturers provide recommendations for their materials. Follow these recommendations.
- For proper adhesion, ensure surface of work piece is completely clean.