Automating Your Paint Line: What Parts Should You Consider
These guidelines can help you determine the best parts to automate.
What Parts Should you Automate on your Paint Line?
The industrial automation being developed today allows for a lot more flexibility compared to what was available in the past. As with any significant manufacturing change, benefits should be evaluated carefully before making the final decision.
Use these recommendations to help guide your decision.
Automate these parts
Automate parts on your paint line that:
- Have the same or similar size, features or surfaces
- Are the same or very similar processes during painting
- Contribute to 80 percent of your volume and include only 20 percent of your part numbers
- Are already organized into a manufacturing line incorporating a continuous flow
- Require a high amount of non-value added labor like painter repositioning and movement
- Require precise control or allow zero margin for error
DO NOT automate these parts
Do not automate parts that:
- Have unique features or processes different from the majority of your part volume
- Are difficult to fixture
- Are not stable after fixturing
- Are difficult to repeatedly align
- Have low labor content operations, where automation would not gain anything in the manufacturing process
In addition, look at the task. If an operator can accomplish it much easier or quicker than a robot, do not automate that process.
Automation saves money and improves efficiency.
What's your return on investment?
Automating Your Paint Line: How to Know When You’re Ready
Have you ever wondered if automation might be the right choice for your paint line? Determine if automation is a good fit for your plant.
Why You Should Automate Your Paint Booth
Easy-to-integrate automation technology can significantly improve manufacturing profitability. It’s no wonder smart manufacturers are making the switch to automated paint booths.
Why Graco Automation?
No matter how large or small your project, Graco has products that will easily integrate with your robot and automation systems!